Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Finally, my garden begins

Tonight, at long last, I planted my gardens. Well, some of them. Here is a very promising flower garden. (And behind it, a small sunflower plant from Ben and Jerry's!)
In my flower garden, I hope, you will begin to see these: Strawflowers, Marigolds, and Zinnias.
In pots, I planted Hens and Chicks (I loooooove them) and Lemon Symphony.
Scott and O'Reilly look on.
We got a beautiful hanging basket from a WONDERFUL greenhouse in nearby Penacook, Murray Farms. And that beautiful blue macrame (yes, macrame!) plant hanger is from my favorite, Concord's Osbornes Agway.
I am also working on a forest project in the shady section of the patio. A few ferns - uprooted from the forest at Riley's Trails, and maybe some kind of fir tree. Hmm, we'll see if they survive. I hope so! I put some moss on the topsoil to make them feel at home, and I am keeping them moist.
This little darling was one of my pre-vacation purchases, and I can't for the life of me remember what it is. So I didn't plant it in the flower or the herb garden* tonight. Whatever blooms it had before we went to AL/TN have fallen off, and your guess is as good as mine. 
These were the mini yellow daffodils. I took Mom's expert advice and waited all the way until their strands were dried out, then cut them back, and now wait for next Spring. I hope the bulbs revive themselves. They were delightful in their prime.
Next up, a pot of green beans and another pot of lettuce. A pot, you say? Yes, a pot. This is my first garden and I don't want to overdo it. Mom says it is perfectly respectable to grow one head of lettuce in a pot. A ha ha. Well, we'll see who's laughing when Ally's enjoying her homegrown salad. All one of them. Hmpfh. :)
Soon to come, with help from my new friend Sarge, I will be digging a small flower bed by the patio post, to host Echinacea (Purple Coneflower) and Mexican Sunflowers, in honor of Lauren and Co. A few sprightly little marigolds will hold the spot while we wait for these beauties to come up. Stay tuned!
*Photos of the herb garden I planted tonight will follow. Ooh, it smells so good!

~Ally

1 comment:

Marie Rayner said...

Ohh, your gardens will be so lovely when they are all in bloom. I love the look of those Mexican Sunflowers! We did plant some sunflowers behind our shed again this year. HOpefully the birds didn't get the seeds. We shall see!