Wednesday, July 28, 2010
Tuesday, July 27, 2010
40 Things That are Great About Being 40!
(for Lauren on her 40th bday, July 26)
1. No more dreading turning 40!
2. You still have more than 50 years to go.
3. No more school photos.
4. You can wear skirted bathing suits with no shame!
5. You won’t get carded for a glass of wine.
6. You can cry if you want to.
7. You know lots of things already.
8. You can braid your chin hairs into a warm, comforting winter scarf.
9. No more standardized testing!
10. You never have to worry about what brand of jeans you are wearing.
11. You can go grey or stay red - or try a whole new hair color!
12. Skeevy men will probably stop hitting on you.
13. New, older skeevy men will start hitting on you.
14. That whole “find your purpose when you’re 33” pressure is off.
15. Your best sex is still ahead of you (so they say).
16. You can gracefully call wrinkles “laugh lines.”
17. There’s no need to spend time tanning.
18. Shave. Don’t shave. Whatever.
19. You can start a new career and get scholarships for moms over 40!
20. You can have your cake and eat it too. (But you will probably have to make it yourself.)
21. You can blame tummy bulge on middle age.
22. You can blame your husband’s bad behavior on middle age (not that he would ever).
23. You can pretty much blame anything you want on middle age!
24. You can vote - whoop de do!
25. If you haven’t smoked by now, there’s no point in starting - good for you!
26. You can watch your children grow up while you still have the energy to enjoy them.
27. When your kids go to college, you’ll still be young enough to travel the world!
28. No one can tell you you’re being immature. It’s your right now.
29. Behold and embrace those laugh lines - you earned ‘em!
30. You can write a really long list of your accomplishments.
31. You can remember things from the 80’s which are now considered “from yesteryear.”
32. You can pull outfits out of your closet that your kids will wear to oldies costume parties.
33. You can say things like, “Back in the day.”
34. It is perfectly valid to start using that, “Uphill both ways” story with pride.
35. You am who you am and it’s high time to accept and love YOU.
36. You can feather your hair and wear high heels with skinny jeans because hey, you’re worth it! (And you waited so long that it’s now back in style.)
37. You have a family that loves you and gives your life meaning.
38. You’re not 50.
39. You can start your memoirs.
40. THE BEST IS YET TO COME!