Thursday, February 23, 2012

Info: household plants that are poisonous to children

direct excerpt from this article at

Plants and Flowers

Did you know that many common house and garden plants could be poisonous to your little one if they are ingested? Since your infant is at an age when he is apt to put anything and everything in his mouth, you may want to consider removing certain plants from your home entirely, or at the very least, placing them far out of reach from your exploring baby. If you hang plants up high to be out of reach, be sure that no leaves or flowers can fall into an area that your baby could reach. If you do keep poisonous plants in your home, be sure to label them clearly. Even if you know all the names of your plants, chances are most of your babysitters won't and if your child accidentally ingests a leaf or two, labeling the plant will help expedite communication with their doctor or poison control.

Some poisonous plants include:

  • Iris
  • Lily of the Valley
  • English Ivy
  • Hyacinth bulbs
  • Azalea
  • Daffodil bulbs
  • Rhododendron
  • Rhubarb leaves
  • Tomato plant leaves
  • Holly and Mistletoe

Though you may have heard that the Poinsettia is poisonous, Holly and Mistletoe are the real culprits. Poinsettias are not poisonous, but they can be irritating, so you should still be cautious and keep this plant out of baby's reach.

No comments: